22nd May 2015
Become an HR Master – 6 Reasons to come to our HR Mastery Program
You might have noticed we write a lot about the HR function, providing our POV and insights into what we do, how we do it and how we can be better. Not only do we write a lot about it, we run a program on it. Following the success of earlier programs this year, we’re now looking towards our next program to be run in Melbourne October 26th – 30th.
The genesis of The HR Mastery Program came from conversations our Partner group have had over the past few years. Six of us have had the good fortune (and innate capability) to have developed successful HR careers with some of the globe’s leading firms – like PepsiCo, Lion Nathan, GE, Navman, Arnott’s-Campbell, Diageo, Fonterra, Spark NZ and Wesfarmers to name a few. Now well entrenched in our consulting careers, we found ourselves wanting to create an opportunity for emerging HR leaders to benefit from our experience, wisdom – and in some cases, mistakes.
Our hypothesis is this: Younger HR talent could study and gain a HR related business degree, and perhaps go and attend a “strategic” HR program with eminent academics – but would this necessarily equip them to be practical and effective? Sure, academics can provide theoretical insight and tell you the right books to read, but we know that these aren’t the things that really make a difference. Where do you learn to influence a CEO? Where do you learn how to push past resistance and onto implementation? How do you learn the things that really matter in practice as an HR leader?
We’ve met some very smart, qualified people, with great HR knowledge and grasp of the newest organisational fads, who just weren’t liked or trusted by the people in their business. Caught up in their personal vortex of HR jargon and functional expertise, oftentimes at best they aren’t understood – at worst, they’re regardedas being out of touch and irrelevant.
So enter our solution: The HR Mastery Program. More than 18 months in development, and pressure-tested by some great HR leaders we know and respect, we launched the 4.5 day live-in program in 2014 and ran four programs. 90%+ of the attendees have rated it “excellent” (the highest rating) and “the best development experience they’ve ever had”.
We’ve just conducted the first of three programs for one of Australia’s big four banks with their HR Business Partners, choosing our program over other offerings, which we’re honoured and quite chuffed about.
If you need more convincing, here are six reasons you, or someone in your team or organisation, should enrol right now:
- THE TIME IS RIGHT – If not now, then when? If not you, then who? We’re only accepting 30 people in the three public programs in 2016. Set yourself up for huge success and delivery in the coming financial year. The sooner you start mastering the art and science of HR, the more impact you can make. Past participants have told us they’ve returned to work and made great strides in the first week after attending, and the trajectory continues.
- LEARN FROM MASTERS – All of our Partners facilitate at stages through the program. Each day there are two Partners working with the 10 participants. We have a guest CEO and a current practicing HR Director along for separate events. As a participant, you get close-in access to some great advice and learning from extremely successful people to maximise the time investment you make.
- IT’S A LEADERSHIP PROGRAM – We spend as much time working on leadership as we do on the HR stuff. Why? Because HR Mastery only occurs when you stake out your place as a leader; becoming someone who can influence others, who can build great relationships, who can overcome resistance to change and take a bold stand. You get feedback on these things, and start developing actions to become a better leader at The HR Mastery Program, even before you become a better HR person.
- DEEP NETWORKING WITH PEERS – Imagine spending close to five days with nine other HR peers and half a dozen different facilitators getting stimulated and challenged, away from your usual day-to-day.. You’re going to feel vulnerable at certain times; exhilarated at others. You’ll get to know yourself and other participants at a deep level and learn a lot about HR at other participants’ companies. The bonds you make could last a life-time.
- CUT TO THE CHASE – We’ve taken our years of experience and distilled the great methods and approaches we’ve seen work into five key levers. These are the things that we (and the CEOs we know) think are the critical things HR people should be great at. We know what works and which framework or model is going to get the best outcomes in practice (not in theory). We help you cut-to-the-chase and spend more time on implementing the right solution rather than researching it.
- LEARN, REFLECT & COMMIT – The learning you could take from attending the program might be obvious from what you’ve read so far. What’s different is the time you’ll spend reflecting on things at the HR Mastery Program. Things like where you stand, what you need to work on, what you’re already good at and what next steps you need to take. We know the best transition back to work is for you to make commitments, written down and spoken out loud. Don’t come to program unless you’re willing to be part of a commitment to change.
So if this sounds like you (or someone you know), then act fast. The few remaining seats will fill up and the chance will be gone for four or so. Register or make contact with us to hold your place at the HR Mastery Program, on October 26th in Melbourne.
Alternatively, give us a call on (02) 8235 4600.